Sunday, September 24, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 24/09/2017)


Just granted me some time to work on it. Been a while! I was a bit rusty with the strokes, but I'm happy I could manage to work on the whole shirt checkers at once, for a more homogeneous result. Still gotta add some shadows and add a second layer do the black squares, but the hardest part of it is done. After that, still a big challenge to come: the helmet!


Thursday, September 14, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 14/09/2017)


Back to the great slowness... but still moving! The king part is more or less done. I might add some cross-hatching details on the white shoulder pads. Or not. I'll see. A big advantage of working over a substantial coat of gesso is that I can scratch errors with a sharp knife blade.

There won't be any update about this for a while, as I won't be able to work on it. Dammit. It's far from being finished anyway...



Saturday, September 2, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 02/09/2017)


First two steps done!
- Basecoat with gesso to have a white, smooth surface compatible with pencil/eraser and black liners.
- Reproduction of the drawings with a pencil. To ease the erasing later, I've used a hard 2H pencil.

About 20 hours in the making... Next step: inking of the contours!


Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 28/08/2017)


I'm supposed to be on holidays, yet it's been days since I've done something for the board. After some further tests, I managed to find a good combination of the 3 main elements (the 2 characters and the text band that separates them. I've also made more tests on paper for variations on the design of the king. Now I know what I want it to look like.

 

 Time to start primering the board with gesso. It's quite of a long process... and involves physical involvement!


Monday, August 21, 2017

Friday, August 18, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 18/08/2017)




Moving on: time for a realistic draft! The idea is to try the technique and materials I envision to use on the skate deck. This first test is on a wood board primered with Gesso, and the drawing is done with black liner pens. With this live test, I've discovered a couple of flaws in the process. I will try to improve it all when going for the real thing. Next step is the other half of the main drawing!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 16/08/2017)


Back to business at last! Moving on with the helmet and the bandana. Now this part of the design is ready for a live test!

Monday, July 17, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 17/07/2017)


First full test, with liners and brush pens. The pattern of the bandana still needs to be worked upon. I'm not sure if I like the result or not. Or if that's what I want to do with the deck. Initially, I wanted to paint it - using a brush that is. Today, I might go for "mixed media" techniques. Now I have to see if i can get a coherent result on the other half of the drawing.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Drawing on my deck! (update: 13/07/2017)


Moving on with the skate deck project. At this stage, I'm focusing on defining the contours, and to try and adapt the fantastic drawing of the king of diamonds by Bob Case. Here you can see the draft of the darth vato half of the drawing. I'm not yet sure about the kind of technique and design I will go for. The first idea is this gangsta shirt. Now I've got to see if I find a coherent idea for the other half...